Friday, December 30, 2011

Shorter Showers

“Clean water is precious.”  I’m still surprised that my father said this.  I wouldn’t say that he used water extravagantly, but he also never minded when my brother and I would routinely flood our sandbox as kids.  Still, I’m impressed by his awareness since he does not live in an area that suffers from water shortages.  

I also used to waste water by taking extra long showers, showering to the point where there was no hot water left.  According to Drinktap.org, the average person uses 11.6 gallons of water to shower each day.

A few years ago, when I became aware of the importance of water, I resolved to take five minute showers.  This was hard since I enjoy waking up each morning with the prolonged feel of hot water on my face.  Still, most days I am able to accomplish it.  

Another thing that helps conserve water is for me to turn the water off when I’m lathering up.  I really don’t need it when I’m trying to apply soap or shampoo.  While I miss soaking up the hot water, I feel good knowing that I’ve reduced my water consumption.  

Do you have any tricks for reducing your water consumption?  Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment