Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring is here... I think.

It seems spring has finally made an appearance.  In the midwest, it felt like winter was a month late and like a guest who is enjoying himself, then decided to stay a bit later.  Today was our first day above 60 degrees and it was a welcome sight.

The garden is finally dry enough that I planted some arugula.  When I write dry enough, the soil looked like moist brownies that were just taken out of the oven.  I can't wait to eat some.  It sounds like we should be able to have some in 30-45 days.  Next on the list,  placing a fence around the arugula to keep the bunnies out.

Every year I attempt to grow something new in the veggie garden.  Last year we had chile peppers.  Growing some of your own food helps lower your carbon footprint since you only have to walk a short a distance to get your food.  The real perk is having food that tastes great since it is extremely fresh.

If you haven't gardened before, my advice is to start small so you don't become overwhelmed.  And don't become discouraged if a plant doesn't grow well.  Celebrate the successes and think of failures as learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment